Suprisingly High Protein Packed Products
You may have seen our blog on the importance of protein a while ago, if you haven’t then go check it out here. When people hear protein, they often drift towards ‘chicken’, ‘steak’, ‘protein shake’ and a whole lot of animal-based items. Here are a few products (many of which we stock at PRESS) which may be of interest if you’re looking for some protein packed snacks. We have included the amount of protein per 100g too so you can really get comparing.
- Nuts have about 20g-30g of protein per 100g and are also very rich in calcium, zinc and selenium, making them a great high protein snack. The nut butters that we stock at PRESS contain no added sugar or palm oil, making them an easy way to reach your protein needs (who doesn’t love peanut butter on toast?).
- Chickpeas, black beans and lentils at approximately 7.2g of protein per 100g. Can be a great addition to curries, stews, made into hummus or roasted in paprika and sea salt for a healthy snack. They are very versatile and cheap too.
- Edamame beans are going to be your best friend if you’re looking to up your protein intake on a plant based diet as they are considered a complete protein meaning that they provide all of the essential amino acids that your body needs. They contain about 11g of protein per 100g and can be eaten as a snack, added to a salad or blended into a pesto sauce and served with our spelt pasta.
- Tempeh, similar to tofu but slightly more chewy and therefore, a great substitute to meat because the texture is not too different. It is delicious marinated in a soy or teriyaki sauce with lots of ginger and garlic and then fried until golden and added to a stir fry, curry dish or salad.
- Meat substitutes like our ‘This isn’t’ and ‘Meatless Farm’ range are made from soya protein and ridiculously high in protein but also a great way to make sure you don’t feel like you are missing out on meat. The meatless farm mince made into a sauce with beans, served with quinoa or brown rice would mean you are well on your way to reaching your daily protein targets.
- Chia seeds (yes you heard correctly) offer all 9 essential amino acids, making them the perfect plant-based protein. They can be sprinkled over porridge, avocado on toast or blended into a smoothie.
- Seaweed is actually packed with protein and so many other nutrients making it another unsurprising protein-packed snack. It’s also the best dietary source of iodine, which helps support your thyroid gland