Skip to content

The 70/30 Rule; Is This The Secret To Weight Loss?

The truth? You are (mostly) what you eat...

What Is the 70/30 Rule?


Ever stumbled upon the 70/30 rule and wondered what the buzz is all about? It's like the Swiss Army knife of lifestyle rules, versatile enough to apply to budgeting, time management, and yes, even dieting.
The idea is deceptively simple: focus 70% on one aspect and 30% on another to achieve balance and success. In the world of dieting, this translates to a game plan where 70% of weight loss is attributed to diet, and the remaining 30% to exercise. But it's more than just numbers; it's about understanding the power of what you eat versus how you burn it off. The theory suggests that by nailing the right balance, you're on a smoother path to hitting your weight loss goals.

What Is The 70/30 Diet?

So, diving into the 70/30 diet, what's it all about? Imagine your weight loss journey as a seesaw. On one side, you've got your diet, and on the other, your exercise. The 70/30 diet suggests that a whopping 70% of your weight loss efforts should come from what's on your plate. That means prioritising nutritious, whole foods that fuel your body without overloading it with calories. The remaining 30%? That's where exercise comes in, adding that essential oomph to your metabolism and overall health.

But it's not just about slashing calories or running marathons. The 70/30 diet is a nod to the quality of your calories and the variety in your exercise routine. It's about creating a sustainable lifestyle that marries good eating habits with physical activity. Whether it's choosing a salad over a burger, or swapping a Netflix binge for a brisk walk, it's the small changes that add up.

Does the 70/30 Approach to Weight Loss Work?

Now, for the million-dollar question: does the 70/30 approach actually work? The short answer is, it can, but there's a bit of a plot twist. While the principle is sound—diet indeed plays a massive role in weight loss—the real magic happens when you tailor the approach to your individual lifestyle, preferences, and body's needs.

Science backs up the idea that diet has a more significant impact on weight loss than exercise alone. A study in the "Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics" found that dietary changes contribute more significantly to weight loss compared to physical activity. However, exercise is crucial for maintaining muscle mass, improving mood, and boosting metabolism, all of which are important for long-term weight management.

But here's the kicker: there's no one-size-fits-all answer. The effectiveness of the 70/30 rule depends on your commitment to both healthy eating and regular physical activity. It's also about listening to your body and adjusting as you go. Some folks might find tweaking the percentages works better for them.

In a nutshell, the 70/30 approach can be a fantastic guideline for those looking to shed pounds and keep them off. It emphasises the importance of a balanced diet while acknowledging the role of exercise in a healthy lifestyle. Just remember, the key to weight loss success is consistency, patience, and a bit of personalisation. So, could this be the secret sauce to weight loss? It's definitely worth a shot, but remember, the best diet plan is the one you can stick to.

6 Tips to Lost Weight With The 70/30 Rule

1. Remove one dietary vice per day

It takes 5 minutes to eat 500 calories, but can take up to two hours of exercise to burn it off! Consuming calories from food is easy but burning off these calories by relying on exercise alone takes a lot of time and hard work. It is much more achievable to cut your calorie intake by simply removing one dietary vice a day.
Try skipping your afternoon chocolate fix, switching to black tea or skipping your evening glass of wine.

2. Boost protein intake at breakfast

Protein at breakfast is vital for weight loss. Protein keeps us fuller for longer and consequently, you will eat less throughout the day.
Have you tried poached eggs, avocado & spinach? Yoghurt, seeds and berries? Smoked salmon with avocado on buckwheat toast or porridge with flax seeds and a dollop of yoghurt?

3. Minimise snacking

New research indicates that constant grazing throughout the day is unhealthy and counterproductive to weight loss. Stick to three satisfying meals a day, that includes protein, healthy fats, whole grains and vegetables.
If going for longer than 4-5 hours without food, then you may want to choose a snack consisting of unrefined, whole foods. Choose apples dipped in nut butter, hummus with carrots or simple boiled eggs.

4. Get moving!

There’s no need to run on the treadmill for hours.
Overly long cardio workouts can initiate a stress response, which could inhibit weight loss.
30 minutes a day of exercise is optimal for weight loss; for example, a combination of cardio and resistance training such as brisk walking and Pilates.

5. Double weight loss with a food diary

A study of 1,700 people showed that food diaries can actually double weight loss! The simple act of writing down what you eat encourages people to consume fewer calories.
*Try recording food intake on a Post-it note, take pictures on your phone, record on the notes section on your phone, send yourself text messages or keep a record on an app.

6. Revive, don’t deprive

Create healthy habits, not restrictions.
Much of our eating and drinking is born out of habit. New healthy habits usually take between 1-4 weeks to kick in. Once you have created a healthy habit, it will stay with you for life.

Why not try one of our juice cleanses every few weeks to reset your body and mind? 

Related Products.

You might also like.

Our Plastic Neutral Pledge: PRESS X CleanHub 


30 May 2024

Our Plastic Neutral Pledge: PRESS X CleanHub 

One of our recent initiatives to help achieve a more sustainable future is by partnering with CleanHub - an incredible organisation who are also on a mission to free...

7 unexpected benefits of quitting caffeine
30 May 2024

7 unexpected benefits of quitting caffeine

Quit caffeine?’ You may have spat your morning cuppa all over your screen after reading that preposterous suggestion above. But seriously, we know that you and most other visitors...

The Journey of PRESS and the Partnership with Earnt
30 May 2024

The Journey of PRESS and the Partnership with Earnt

Introduction We are excited to share that we’ve taken a significant step forward by partnering with Earnt. This collaboration marks a new chapter for us, and we’d like to...



Your cart is currently empty.


Plant Diversity Tracker

Select options