Pret A Manger located at almost every corner in London, this eatery is a hard one to miss. Whilst their marketing message is all about their fresh and natural food, it's still essential to pick your food wisely. Sandwiches, wraps, soups and granolas can be jam packed full of hidden salt, sugar, and saturated fats. The sandwich to watch out for is their 'Posh Cheddar and Pickle Baguette', which contains more calories than a McDonalds Big Mac! This baguette has a mammoth 621 calories and a shocking 2.7g of salt, 70g of white refined carbohydrates and 9.2g of saturated fat per portion. Despite this, Pret also stock some super healthy foods, which are freshly made each morning. They are completely up to date with food trends whilst also catering for those who are dairy, gluten or wheat free.
Photo: Pret a Manger
Pret have also made healthy snacking a whole lot easier. One of their best products so far must be their 'Pret Pots'. These little snack pots are less than 200 calories each and are full of fresh and healthy whole foods.
Lily's top choices at Pret:
- AVOCADO AND CRAYFISH SALAD
- PROTEIN PACKED SUPERBOWL
- BEETS, SQUASH AND FETA SUPERBOWL
- ASIAN TOFU SALAD
- TUNA NICOISE SALAD
- DAIRY-FREE 5 GRAIN PORRIDGE
- COCONUT YOGHURT
- CARROT JUICE
- HEALTHIEST SANDWICHES: AVOCADO AND EGG ON RYE, BEETROOT AND RADISH ON RYE OR CUCUMBER AND HUMMUS ON RYE
Photo: The Brit Abroad
Watch out for their sauces and white rice noodle soups, these are often laden with salt and sugar. Lastly, be wary around fried and tempura food which are full of unhealthy trans fats.
Lily’s top choices at Wasabi:
- MISO SOUP
- BROWN RICE SUSHI
- SALMON POKE SALAD POT
- BROWN RICE SUSHI: YASAI ROLL SET, CHUMAKI SET, HARMONY SET, RAINBOW SET, SALMON NIGIRI SET
Watch out for their breakfast smoothie containing whopping 46g of sugar, which is the same amount found in a 100g bar of chocolate.
Before eating at Pod, it’s vital to double check the salt and sugar content as these vary dramatically between dishes.
It’s not all doom and gloom; in fact, the majority of their food is great. Their salads are always tasty, and they have a super healthy range of snack pots.
Lily’s top choices at Pod:
- PEANUT BUTTER POWER PORRIDGE, BERRY BOOST PORRIDGE, GLUTEN FREE PORRIDGE
- ENERGIZER SCRAMBLED EGG, LOW SALT
- PICKING POTS
- AVOCADO AND CHILLI BIBIMBAP
- ALL SALADS: RESEARCH THE SALT CONTENT AS SOME CAN BE VERY HIGH
- HEALTHIEST SANDWICHES: AVOCADO AND CHILLI TOASTED SANDWICH
Photo: Instagram - EAT
The great news is that EAT is on par healthy food trends, providing alternative dishes like the high protein quinoa and buckwheat porridge and avocado on toast!
Lily’s top choices at Eat:
- AVOCADO ON SOURDOUGH TOAST WITH FETA
- HEALTHIEST SANDWICH: SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN
- COCONUT CHILLI CHICKEN AND RAW SLAW PROTEIN POT
- SMOKED SALMON, EDAMAME AND EGG PROTEIN POT
- HARISSA HUMMUS RAINBOW SALAD PROTEIN POT
- CHIPOTLE CHICKEN AND AVOCADO SALAD
- TUNA NICOISE SALAD
- HARISSA HUMMUS AND RAINBOW VEGETABLE
- MISO AND TAHINI BEEF SALAD
- QUINOA AND BUCKWHEAT PORRIDGE
- CHIA POTS
Photo: Agnieszka P
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org